This is a popular medium for giving groups or individuals a VOICE, and consequently, presenting a variety of PERSPECTIVES. Here’s just a few examples:
- We looked at Michael Moore’s documentaries a few weeks ago – “Bowling for Columbine” and “Sicko” – which give Americans a VOICE to express their discontent at their outrageous levels of gun violence and broken healthcare system.
- “Murderball” gives a VOICE to disabled athletes and presents the PERSPECTIVE of wheelchair rugby players.
- “Bra Boys” gives a VOICE to the Maroubra surfing gang in Sydney, allowing them to present their PERSPECTIVE on surfing, their territory, multiculturalism and the violence often associated with them.
- Louis Theroux ‘s documentaries always make for interesting viewing! He gives a VOICE to minority groups (Neo-Nazis, gangsters, America’s most hated family, swingers, alien killers, doomsday preppers) whose CONTROVERSIAL PERSPECTIVES often challenge the values and beliefs of mainstream society.
- “Black Fish” gives a VOICE to the cruel treatment of Tilicum (and other orca whales in captivity) at the hands of the multi-billion-dollar sea-park industry.
- Mabo: Life of an Island Man gives a VOICE to Eddie Mabo and presents his PERSPECTIVE about family, home and his fight for an entire nation and its legal system.
And so on and so forth…